FRESH INK (Penguin Random House, coming 08/14/2018)
Careful, you are holding fresh ink. And not hot-off-the-press, still drying in your hands ink. Instead, you are holding twelve stories with endings that are still being written—whose next chapters are up to you.
Because these stories are meant to be read. And shared.
Thirteen of the most accomplished YA authors deliver a label-defying anthology that includes ten short stories, a graphic novel, and a one-act play. Proceed with caution. This collection will inspire you to break convention, bend the rules, color outside the lines. All you need is fresh ink.
OVERTURNED (Scholastic, 2017)
Nikki Tate is infamous, even by Las Vegas standards.
Her dad is sitting on death row, convicted of killing his best friend in a gambling dispute turned ugly. And for five years, he’s maintained his innocence. But Nikki wants no part of that. She’s been working on Operation Escape Vegas: playing in illegal card games so she can save up enough money to get out come graduation day.
Then her dad’s murder conviction is overturned. The new evidence seems to come out of nowhere and Nikki’s life becomes a mess when he’s released from prison. Because the dad who comes home is not the dad she remembers. And he’s desperately obsessed with finding out who framed him—and why.
As her dad digs into the seedy underbelly of Vegas, the past threatens everything and Nikki is drawn into his deadly hunt for the truth. But in the city of sin, some sinners will do anything to keep their secrets, and Nikki soon finds herself playing for the biggest gamble ever—her life.
- “[A] story as moving as it is thrilling.” – The New York Times Book Review
- “An utterly compelling whodunit.” - Kirkus Reviews (Starred Review)
- “Another Giles winner.” - The Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books
- “A fast-paced, compelling mystery.” - School Library Journal
- “[A] dark and twisty thriller.” - Publishers Weekly
- Junior Library Guild Spring 2015 Pick
THREE SIDES OF A HEART: Stories About Love Triangles (HarperCollins, 2018)
Featuring my short story "The Historian, the Garrison, and the Cantankerous Cat Woman"
You may think you know the love triangle, but you've never seen love triangles like these.
These top YA authors tackle the much-debated trope of the love triangle, and the result is sixteen fresh, diverse, and romantic stories you don’t want to miss.
This collection, edited by Natalie C. Parker, contains stories written by Renee Ahdieh, Rae Carson, Brandy Colbert, Katie Cotugno, Lamar Giles, Tessa Gratton, Bethany Hagan, Justina Ireland, Alaya Dawn Johnson, EK Johnston, Julie Murphy, Garth Nix, Natalie C. Parker, Veronica Roth, Sabaa Tahir, and Brenna Yovanoff.
A teen girl who offers kissing lessons. Zombies in the Civil War South. The girl next door, the boy who loves her, and the girl who loves them both. Vampires at a boarding school. Three teens fighting monsters in an abandoned video rental store. Literally the last three people on the planet.
What do all these stories have in common?
The love triangle.
ENDANGERED (HarperCollins, 2015)
Smile for the Camera…
Endangered is a thrilling page-turner perfect for fans of Barry Lyga’s I Hunt Killers.
The one secret she cares about keeping—her identity—is about to be exposed. Unless Lauren “Panda” Daniels—an anonymous photoblogger who specializes in busting classmates and teachers in compromising positions—plays along with her blackmailer’s little game of Dare or . . . Dare.
But when the game turns deadly, Panda doesn’t know what to do. And she may need to step out of the shadows to save herself . . . and everyone else on the Admirer’s hit list.
- 2016 Edgar® Award Nominee for Best Young Adult Mystery
- "…a dynamic, dangerously suspenseful, contemporary adventure…" – School Library Journal
- "…suspenseful and often wise." – Kirkus Reviews
- “FIVE STARS!!! I honestly loved this book so much.” – Just a Broke Bookworm Reviews
- Junior Library Guild Spring 2015 Pick
- One of Barnes & Noble’s Teen Blog 7 Hotly Anticipated YA Sophomore Standalone Novels of 2015
FAKE ID (HarperCollins, 2014)
NICK PEARSON IS HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT…
My name isn’t really Nick Pearson.
I shouldn’t tell you where I’m from or why my family moved to Stepton, Virginia.
I shouldn’t tell you who I really am, or my hair, eye, and skin color.
And I definitely shouldn’t tell you about my friend Eli Cruz and the major conspiracy he was about to uncover when he died—right after I moved to town. About how I had to choose between solving his murder with his hot sister, Reya, and “staying low-key” like the Program has taught me. About how moving to Stepon changed my life forever.
- "This engrossing thriller blends gritty crime storytelling with solid, realistic family drama." - Publisher's Weekly
- "Conspiracy theorists and thriller fans alike will be guessing right up to the end of this exciting debut." - Booklist
- “Fast action, judicious plot twists, and sufficiently evil teens and adults should keep thrill-seeking readers awake long into the night. ” - Kirkus Reviews
- 2015 Edgar® Award Nominee for Best Young Adult Mystery
- Junior Library Guild Spring 2014 Pick
- A 2014 Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books Blue Ribbon Selection
Nominated for the following state reading lists/awards:
- Virginia (Virginia's Readers Choice, Winner 2015-2016)
- Georgia (Georgia Peach Book Award)
- Texas (TAYSHAS Reading List)
- Florida (Florida Teens Read)
- Mississippi (Magnolia Book Award)
- Louisiana (Louisiana Young Readers Choice Award)
- Indiana (The Eliot Rosewater Indiana High School Book Award)
- Illinois (Lincoln Award)